Aug 2, 2013

Barb's Race 70.3 - 2013

Last week this time I was at packet pick up for my first 70.3 distance. 

BARB'S RACE

#holyeffincowiwasexcited
Full of nerves and excitement I went through the pre-race meeting and picked up my timing chip/numbers and all that fun stuff that makes the tri world go around! 
Gotta calm those pre race jitters eh?! hahaha

Once we sat through the pre-race meeting we went to go set up our run transition.
Yep, a day early... I was a bit nervous about leaving my shoes and nutrition in the sun all day but I got over it and left it all there and hoped that no one else wore a size 11! hahaha :) 

RACE DAY!
We got up super early, ate some yummy oatmeal 
#iamnotahugeeaterinthemorningsothiswasatask ... 

Since we had an amazing house in walking distance of the race start we took our bikes down when transition opened, set all the gear up and headed back to the house to stay warm and get ready.
Transition opened at 6am... race started at 8:30
If you do this race, get a house close to the start, IT WAS AWESOME!

Before I knew it I was down at the shore... 
and they were telling the YELLOW CAPS to get in the water!

THE SWIM: 
1.2 miles - 38:46
Going into the swim my goal was 35 minutes. I don't know why I was SO SLOW?!
Just didn't ever get that gliding in the water feeling.
The water was perfect, not too cold or warm.

T1: 3:29
 

 THE BIKE: 
56 miles -3:13
Going into the bike my goal was to get right under 3 hours. 
ONCE AGAIN I don't know why I was SO SLOW?! Hahahaha, NO I KNOW.
HILLS.
HILLS.
HILLS.
BUMPY!!!!!!!

This course is beautiful! 
You go up and down hills in and out of wineries and through amazing beautiful land! 

I felt pretty dang good the entire time. 
I would take a Power Bar Gel and then Hammer Perpetuem Solid every 45min... going back and forth with these two nutrition supplements I felt amazing and my tummy loved me. 
I continued this throughout my run too. #NOTE- Hammer Perpetuem is AMAZING! 

If you haven't tried it you should :) I also had the yummy Skratch in my two bottles and filled up with plain water after they were gone. 

The roads were bumpy, but I toughed it out and stayed in aero as much as possible. 
Rosalita and I enjoyed the down hills where we got to FLY!

T2: 4:03


THE RUN: 
13.1 miles - 2:04

Going into the run my goal was 2:10. 
I seriously had no idea if I was going to be able to run without pain.
Stupid hip fracture had me so scared. SO ScARED.
BUT. I. FELT. AMAZING.

THE. ENTIRE. RACE.

Omg, I was SO HAPPY. I started crying around mile 3.
I had to tell myself to shut up and save my energy cause I knew I was going to need it.
My longest run was just over 4 miles. I probably was not "ready" to run this half BUT
I AM A RUNNER! :) 

The best thing about injries is coming back from them. 
I WAS SO grateful to be out there that I couldn't focus on the pain of running/cycling/swimming.
I was able. 
My hip is healed.
=D





I may have danced and smiled A LOT!! 

About a half mile from the finish line I spotted a girl with age 25 on her leg.
GAME ON.
I caught and passed her... In my mind I was wishing... #wishingforhertohavebeenin3rdplace
BUT she was in 5th...
SO I CROSSED THE FINISH LINE.
5th in my Age Group
48th Overall
70.3 - 6:04.37
#DONE

That was a sprint finish. That girl did not want me to beat her.
Gotta LOVE it. I know I freakin do! 

Love this picture of Barb (yes, Barb of Barb's Race) placing my metal on my neck.
I love that she is there to watch us finish and give up our race metals! 

SO happy to be DONE!
I AM A HALF IRONMAN!

After I finished everyone else started coming in too... 
I LOVED getting to watch all my girlfriends cross that finish line!
SO AWESOME!


Baby Myles was tired from all the cheering! 


  I LOVE THESE GIRLS!!

We finished the night with a PIZZA MUMU PARTY!
Compression and mu'mu's go together like 
peanut butter and jelly!!! 
#LOVE

This was SUCH an amazing race. Very organized and the volunteers rocked it!! 

CANNOT WAIT FOR MY NEXT.
Miami 70.3 here comes Mandi with an "i!"

#besuretostaytuned
#wespentaweekinWINECOUNTRY

1 comment:

  1. WHOOHOO!!! Congrats on an awesome race!! Sounds like you had a great day!! So proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete